Some easy skills for children under 5 years old for cooking can be:
- Scrub, dip, tear, break, and snap (for example, snapping the ends off green beans)
- Shake, spread, and cut with a cookie or biscuit cutter
- Peel (some items), roll, juice, and mash
- Wash vegetables in a colander
- Measure and pour some ingredients
- Hand mix
One easy and healthy recipe to use with young children is:
Snip It Salad
Sieve or lettuce spinner
Blunt or safety scissors
Liquid measuring cup
1 head lettuce
1 bunch broccoli
1 red pepper
1 handful of shredded cheese
1/3 c. salad dressing
Drain lettuce leaves in sieve or dry in lettuce spinner.
Tear lettuce into large salad bowl.
With blunt scissors, snip red pepper and broccoli into salad bowl.
For extra calcium, toss your shredded cheese into the bowl.
Toss with 1/3 cup of your favourite salad dressing.